The Journey of Africa

I found that moment and here is my leap of FAITH.....

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I love spending time with people seeing and understanding God through so many of their lives.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Mercy Ships Screening Day

The definition of Hope has never had so much meaning as it did for me in the last 2 days.

"Bringing hope and healing to the poor" is Mercy Ships motto and I saw that motto being put into action on June 26th-27th.

The que (aka line) began forming last Saturday, this line was full of hopeful hearts and faces willing to wait for 3 days just to see if they passed an intial screening. The line was unsettling quiet. People speaking softly to their families and as the Mercy Ships personnel walked by they looked up with hopefuly faces, just waiting for you to pull them out of the line so they could see the doctor and possibly receive a free surgery for a removal of tumor, keloid scars, goiters (not sure how to spell that word), or cataracts. My role that day was to hand out water for the 1/2 mile long line and to pray for the people who Mercy Ships was unable to help. I would have to say between the two jobs the praying was the hardest.

Each person you passed that day, walked by with a huge hope in their eyes as they passed through the entrance for their surgery screening. While most exited the building that day carrying with them hope in their hearts and an appointment card in their hand. Some however, had a different look on their face as they left.....

A women sat down at our prayer station with her 10 week old daughter, her daughter's right eye was bulging out about the size of a golf ball due to a tumor, unfortunately mercy ships was unable to help this tiny girl. What do you say to a mother who has waited in line for hours and has carried her daughter from one doctor to the next each one with more discourageing news than the previous. Here she is sitting at the final station, starring at you with her watering eyes and beautiful daughter in her lap, knowing that what started as a hopeful day, has now just become the same as the last 10 weeks of her daughter's life. As we began praying for her my own words escaped me, but God new exactly what this women needed to hear and by the time we finished praying for the small baby, the mother looked like she had a tiny bit of that hope back in her eyes.

This has been the most amazing deomonstration of hope I have ever seen in my life let alone in one afternoon. Children playing, puppet shows going, and lots of nurese and doctors making very diffcult decisions. Just being there and seeing how Mercy Ships can tangibly bring hope and healing to the poor, made me realize how God can turn any hope into reality.

Love Seren

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seren, You're life is beening touched by Christ as you are touching others through Christ. He will continue to use you as you remember these experiences.
Love and Prayers.
Sheri K

June 30, 2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

So I was just randomly googling some of my old Desoto friends, and your blog popped up. Wow! When I was in school Indiana, being a preacher's kid I always felt so alone spiritually, and now I'm seeing several of my old, old, classmates so excited about God...it's just really cool. If you get this, blessings on your Journey.

December 04, 2006 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
» » »

December 29, 2006 3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home