The Journey of Africa

I found that moment and here is my leap of FAITH.....

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I love spending time with people seeing and understanding God through so many of their lives.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Hat-trick!!!

Final Score: Pro-Anchor Sisters 16 (that's us) Shooters 0
Let's start at the very beginning a very good place to start....
First of all up until the morning before my game, I wasn't sure if I could even play. Basically my old body cannot keep up with these young kids. Once again for the second time in 4 weeks I had injured myself, this time I strained my right calf in practice on Thursday. But of course like a good athletic trainer I went against every piece of advice that I would give all of you and decided to play. I figured if I could run with a moderate amount of pain of course I should play, so I did. As you can see from the picture this game we had a much better pitch to play on compared to the sand trap of the last game. It was approx. 90 degrees and in the heat of the day, but don't be fooled that is not real grass that is astro-terf (aka carpet here in Liberia) which absorbs the heat so it was about 10-15 degrees hotter on the field, but no worries when it's hot 10 degrees doesn't really matter when there is a futbol match to be played.
Ok moving on...

During warm-up we always do these leg tap, heel touch, finger snap, hand clap things that I clearly can't even describe let alone perform. So of course I amused a few Liberians with my lack of coordination, but I have to say after humbling myself from 15 failed attempts I successfully could perform the sequence one time, and then of course I was doomed all over again.

I only played the first half and about 5 minutes of the second half until I basically couldn't run up the field anymore. I am not sure if that is because my leg was killing me or if my lungs were killing me ummm for my own peace of mind I will say my leg. I scored 3 goals (hat-trick) which is kind of fun, as you can see from the picture above (compliments of my friend Kevin's photography skills you guys should check out his website www.kevininliberia.blogspot.com) for some reason they had me take the Penalty Kick for a handball in the box. Seriously it was a really boring game to watch not much to see, but a bunch of my friends on Mercy Ships were great fans that day, and thoroughly enjoyed our goal-keeper getting a yellow card for sitting down during the game.

Of couse it wouldn't be a normal end to a futbol game in Liberia if I didn't have to change my clothes in front of about 30 people! AHHHH what a great day in Liberia, seriously some of you should consider moving here.

Seren #8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home