The Journey of Africa

I found that moment and here is my leap of FAITH.....

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I love spending time with people seeing and understanding God through so many of their lives.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Starting to Really Experience Liberia

YEAH we finally got some water, we are now allowed to do one load of laundry a week, but we still can only take 2 min. showers. It's amazing to think about how much water we really do waste taking a shower. Although I don't think this experience is going to change my mind about how much I enjoy taking long showers, well at least longer than 2 minutes, because really how clean can you really get in two minutes. Trust me not that clean! In fact, I think it might be a fun experiement for you guys to try. Remember the key steps, get wet first, turn the shower off, put soap, shampoo, and face wash(if you use it) on, then turn the shower on again and rinse off as fast as you can. Have Fun!

Ok Moving on to real things....

I went to a pediatric hospital this weekend for 2 hours. Basically we just play with the kids. The one thing I have noticed in Liberia that really bothers me is that everytime I see children, especially children close to my nieces(3) and nephew(5) age, they are never smiling or laughing. I was playing with a baby girl that is about 2 years old and for the whole 2 hours she never smiled, laughed, or cried. It was as if she were emotionless, but all the children in and out of the pediatric hospital all react the same way. On Sunday I was hanging out with a family from Britian who adopted a Liberian baby from a local orphange that we have a ministry with and they said they observed the same thing with Libby (that's their daughter's name) for the first two months she was very emotionless. They attributed it to the fact that she wasn't held very much as a newborn, but now at the age of one she is happy and smiling all the time. Well not to be to depressing, but just wanted to share a little perspective.

I am playing in my first Liberian soccer match in 2 weeks. The team name is Pro-Anchor, I have never felt so sore in all of my soccer career. I am getting to old for this, my body does not recover like it used to in college. I am really getting to know the players and they have accepted me with open arms. The coach definetly treats me like everybody else, the only problem is that when he is yelling at me, which happens frequently, I have no idea what he is saying so I just shake my head yes and pretend to understand, but I really don't! I am starting to understand how foreigners feel sometimes in the U.S. The one thing I do understand is that he tells me to close my mouth alot because I am always trying to figure out what is going on, so I ask the other girls, and then he yells at me. IT's a vicous process, but progressivly getting better.

Occasionally I am getting homesick for some familiar faces and conversations, but of course I am loving life in Liberia, if anything it is always an intersting place.

Seren

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home