The Journey of Africa

I found that moment and here is my leap of FAITH.....

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I love spending time with people seeing and understanding God through so many of their lives.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

The adventure has started.....

I am finally here in Africa!! I made it...I think I ended up traveling for approx. 28hours, I am still a little jet-lagged, but doing well. I am writing this blog in hopes to continue fighting off taking a nap so I can get adjusted to their 7 hour time change.

Wow life is definetly different here and I haven't even left the ship. Here is a little bit about the differences, most of them are just hilarous!

Let's start with my room. I share a room with 3 other girls about half the size of my college dormroom, yeah it's close quarters. I am on the top bunk and really everytime I try to sit up I hit my head on the ceiling (that has happend about 6 times already!) one would think I would learn, but not so much. Our room is on a slant, which is really funny when you are trying to put things away!

Ok showers! Literally we are allowed one minute showers, there is currently a water shortage in Monrovia so currently our shower times are limited. How does one take a one minute shower? Well let me tell you.... You turn the shower on and get wet, turn the shower off and put on shampoo, body wash, and face wash, than you turn the shower back on and rinse off! HIlarous! But the good news is while the showers are brief, they are really hot!!!

Bathrooms, this is my favorite part. We have 2 kinds of bathrooms on the ship. One is called a liquid only bathrom which means you can only do #1 and your toliet paper goes in a trash can, and the other is a full service bathroom which means all choices are available. So you have to be very strategic about your bowel movements! There is probably one full service bathroom to every 7-8 liquid bathrooms. All you can do is laugh, embrace it, and hope you choose wisely!

I haven't really seen much of Monrovia yet, because I just got here and have had orientation and other stuff to worry about. Plus I haven't really met very many people yet (since I am so ridiculously shy I am sure it will take forever), and you can not leave the boat without 2 other people. Also for our safety we have 11:00 curfews, but the best part is we get every weekend free to go to the beach and check out the local flavour! :-)

So I guess the adventure has started.....

Seren

8 Comments:

Blogger - O - said...

Thanks for the update. I'm enjoying keeping track. Enjoy the adventure.

January 21, 2006 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man--you have running water AND it's HOT!!! that is definitely a plus in africa! glad to see you made it safely to africa. i'll enjoy keeping up with your adventures in this blog. take care..

January 22, 2006 6:42 AM  
Blogger matt said...

what a fun write-up...i'm actually going to love reading this blog! You really are on an adventure...keep choosing wisely:-)hey at least you have a toilet seat, right? so you dont have to relearn your technique and start squatting!

i'm on matt's computer, so really this is liz. love you so much! AND i'm honored to be the first girl to respond, haa haa.

January 23, 2006 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seren Frost! You rock. Thanks for sharing about your bowel movements and all the other exciting news in your life. I can't wait to follow your journey through these updates. May God move in you and through you - and not just your bowels! :)

January 24, 2006 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring me back a t-shirt

January 25, 2006 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to hear you're finally there. I thought we were never going to get rid of you. Hey, live it up. Hope every day is full of adventure, challenge, and hope. Love you.

January 25, 2006 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to poo or not to poo.....

I hope you don't start walking on a slant because that will look pretty silly when you're not on the ship.

Anyways, I miss you a lot. It sounds pretty exciting/different. I'm glad you are choosing to laugh and embrace the differences.

love you

January 26, 2006 5:37 AM  
Blogger Melissa Martynyuk said...

seren -

awesome update...i love that you are doing this. have fun with those bathrooms. i am sure you will have lifetime friends before you know it! experiences like this bond people in a way you do not even realize until it has happened and you try to think back to how it all came about. live it up...can't wait to see what God has for! much love - rudy

January 26, 2006 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home