The Journey of Africa

I found that moment and here is my leap of FAITH.....

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I love spending time with people seeing and understanding God through so many of their lives.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Getting into the Swing of Things

I am really enjoying it here, it's hard to be constantly changing all the time. Just when you think you have something figured out, it's either completely changed or you can no longer use it because well that's just the way things are in Africa. Everything is on it's own agenda, and you just kind of wait until both agenda's meet. I am definitely learning how to be continuously flexible with my time and space.

My classes have started which take up the first half of my day, it's like being in kindergarten all over again, I even take a short nap after lunch. I definitely feel like I am in school all over again there are papers to write, books to read, and work for me to procrastinate on. One would think that I have grown up and matured over the last 3 years but my study habits still reflect my days in college, basically I do my homework at the last minute! But hey it always gets done!

Let's see what has changed recently, well we are on a water shortage so no laundry for at least the next 2 weeks, and if we don't get fresh water soon than we will have to leave port. We are praying this doesn't happen, because then we will have to stop surgeries for a week and all the patients aboard the ship will have to be taken off. When we port into a country Mercy Ships sets up an agreement with the government that we will be provided with fresh water and fuel, but due to Liberia's political state we are unable to secure fuel and fresh water on a consistent basis, so we go month to month and pray that God will provide fuel and fresh water so we can stay in Liberia for the remainder of our outreach.

I started playing with Mercy Ship's soccer team, which means I play with 10 guys on a clay field in my running shoes, but it's a ton of fun. The past few weeks we have been playing against a women's team from Monrovia. The first time I saw them play I thought they were well organized, they even had a coach. Well come to find out they are the #1 Women's team in Liberia, and I have been officially recruited to play for them. Seriously their manager approached me this week offering me money and everything. He said and I quote in my Liberian accent " I saw you play last week, come play for me, you can be the first white lady to play in our league" I think if I stay here much longer I could start my soccer career all over! I am considering playing for them (not for money) I have asked the security officer on the ship if this is possible, but the verdict is still out! I am hoping and praying that he will say yes, because I feel like this is a great way to minister to the women in Liberia. The toughest part will be finding people to go with me to all the practices and games because I wouldn't be allowed nor would I feel comfortable going on my own.

Well I must go now and stop procrastinating! I am sure I have a book to read or a paper to write somewhere....

Seren

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seren, Prayers are going up for you that you will be provided with fuel and water.
It's not the same here without you! I am picturing you playing soccer, though, with a great women's team in another country! Have fun and be a great testimony to the locals.
What do you miss most? Certain foods, phone access, Thai food? I'm interested in knowing just what differences in culture there are. Do people live in huts? Do they have electricity in the homes or churches? Are there cars around? What kind of animals? Hope that's not too many questions but I love thinking about it.
Love from all of us!
Sheri, Steve and the rest of the gang!

January 31, 2006 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seren: I have been praying for fuel and water. Will ask for our church members to pray for this as well. Being mom, I might feel compelled to come over and watch your soccer team play. It would be like old times..miss you and love you...mom (dad, too!)

January 31, 2006 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you sail into Liberia, and you're an instant superstar! That's so you. What a fantastic way (soccer) to hang with the locals. I'm praying that it works out.

As far as the water and fuel- Lord, please provide! I will continue pray for provision for these essentials. Consider it on the prayer list. Prayer night is 2/17 and you know we'll have to covered, so send ALL your requests over (don't be shy!).

Seren, you are an inspiration to us all! Thanks for the stories. I'm praying for connections (with people on/off the boat), supplies (fuel and water), your health and your protection.

Africa time is a wonder...not too fast, not too predictable ;)

Love you!

Nic

February 01, 2006 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home