The Journey of Africa

I found that moment and here is my leap of FAITH.....

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I love spending time with people seeing and understanding God through so many of their lives.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Debriefing of my 3 week home stay....

So for the past 3 weeks I have been living with a Ghanian family, the main purpose of this was to quickly get acclimated to the culture and practice the language so here are a few things that I have learned...

Our family took us in like we were our own family. They protected us, looked after us, and worried about us as much as my mother worries about me! If any of you know my mother or have heard the stories you will understand. (mom I say this with a loving heart)

I have learned that I can truly eat anything, for the sake of wanting to be culturally sensitive, I think since my last blog my latest food update has been my adventure of eating BIG snails. If you think we have big portions in the US, you have not seen big portions until you have sat down with an African family for a meal of Fufu and snails.

I have learned that only through God can two cultures mesh. We were so different from each other, and sometimes that was incredibly frustrating, yet we could love each other and learn from each other because we had a common bond and that was our faith in God.

I have learned what it really means to be a servant. If you have ever seen the way Africans treat their guests and each other they do it with a servant heart. The word "no" is not used in this culture. They will get up at 5:00am just to get you fresh bread because they observed that you like it. They will take the time to teach you day to day tasks for the sake of learning. There is never a closed door, people will stop by and they are always welcome. Family is family, and no house is too small for family. Everybody is your friend, and is willing to help. All of these above mentioned things and many more things are done with a servant heart and a genuine love and desire for people.

I have learned that when you are emotionally, spirtually, and physiclly tired that only God knows what you can endure and He never gives you more than what you can handle. And faithfully He will refresh you and stretch you all over again.

I have learned that if you are really hot at night, you can take a shower fully clothed, and go back to sleep with wet clothing. Trust me it cools you off enough to at least go back to sleep for awhile.

I have learned that when it rains in Ghana you should play in the rain because it will be the only time that you are actually cold.

I have learned that keeping a positive attitude, and a few encouraging words from friends can change your whole perspective in a stressful situation.

I have learned that there is "no place like home", and that the definition of home is wherever your heart is.

And My heart is with God's purpose, so for right now Ghana is my home.

Seren

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seren, You are learning a ton! and i'm jealous of the tan:-) Although, i've got a farmer's tan...face and arms, but no feet! It's great to hear about this experience--i cant wait to hear more.

May 14, 2006 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home