The Journey of Africa

I found that moment and here is my leap of FAITH.....

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I love spending time with people seeing and understanding God through so many of their lives.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Initial Thoughts about Ghana

WOW! All I have to say is infrastructure. There are highways, buses, air conditioning in the airport. Homes like I would see back in America and not shacks that can be wrecked by a windy day. Power lines, running water. This country is well developed yet people still lead the simple life (which I am really starting to enjoy).

We have joined up with a local church that has placed us in church members homes. We will be living in these homes for the next 18 days. We will .ive with the family's, do what they do, eat what they eat, and learn as much as we can about the Ghanaian culture before we move into the village of Kordeoubi ( I think that is how you spell it, I will find out soon) The local language in the village is Twi (pronounced Che) Three days a week we are currently taking classes to learn the basics of Twi. While Ghana's national language is English, most of the people speak Twi.

In Ghana you can give a man 30 dollars and he will hand you back 300,00. Talk about a great excahnge rate. So for the first time in my life I possessed 300,000 dollars for the mere price of 30 dollars. That might be due to the fact that one U.S. dollar equals approx. 10,000 CD's which is the Ghanian currency.

I was given a Asiente name today. My Asiente name is Auntie Ama which only means I was born on Saturday. Everybody in Ghana has their birth name and then their Asiente name. So my Asiente name is shared on average with 1/7 of the population.

I ate Fufu for the first time today, which is casava (looks like potatoes) and plaintains cooked and then pounded together with a large stick. It's actually quite alot of work to prepare fufu. After it is all pounded together it looks like bread dough. They mixed it with a tomato based soup, and fish. By fish I mean I ate the bones, eyes, everything. Nothing goes to waste in Africa. Let's see so far I have eaten, cow skin, cow bones, chicken gizard, and feet. Pig skin which just before putting in the pot, they had to singe off the hair. Basically I have to pretend most of the food is something else before I am willing to swallow it, but hey it's definetly all apart of the experience, and now I have a new appreciation for bonless chicken.

I have officially obtained my misisonary tan which is tan arms, face, and feet.

Finally the most amusing thing I have found in Ghana thus far is Gin in a bag. I was at a grocery store and next to the check out line was a small bag approx. 2x2, I picked it up because I thought it was water, but apparently you can get GIN in a bag.

Well that is all for now, hopefully I will be able to update my blog more consistently! I miss everybody, and can't wait to share these stories personally!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you're embracing your new place in the African experience. You've been so faithful about bringing us with you on the journey and I love it! Again, your impact is felt both locally and globally. Praise God for that!

May 06, 2006 12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seren,
You are so adaptable. I miss you and love you dearly. I also love plantains. I will fry you some whenever you come back to Muncie. I am sooooo jealous of your missionary tan. I just went to A Place to tan and got a horrible sun burn.

May 07, 2006 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are hilarious, Seren. Gin in a bag, fully clothed showers. I love it! Thanks for transporting us to Ghana with your stories and anecdotes...if only for a few moments. I can just see you eating enormous snails with a huge smile on your face. Thanks for loving the Africans well...because I know you are!

Inspired,
Nicole

May 26, 2006 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are hilarious, Seren. Gin in a bag, fully clothed showers. I love it! Thanks for transporting us to Ghana with your stories and anecdotes...if only for a few moments. I can just see you eating enormous snails with a huge smile on your face. Thanks for loving the Africans well...because I know you are!

Inspired,
Nicole

May 26, 2006 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home